How to Fix : Virus Converting Pen Drive Icon to Folder Icon
A pen drive (or more officially USB Flash drive) is one of the most commonly used data storage devices. The versatility and ease of use provided by it is unmatched. And as it is being widely used, it’s also become a rather favorite target for viruses. One of the most annoying viruses is the one which converts the pen drive icon into a folder icon and on double-clicking it, it shows the ‘Open With’ window. So here’s how to remove this problem.
Of course the best way to solve this problem is to format the pen-drive. However this will lead to loss of data in it. The following method shows you how to solve this problem without formatting:
- Firstly, goto Start => Run (or Start+R)
- Now type the drive of your pen drive followed by semi-colon (eg. my pen drive’s drive is ‘J’. Then enter ‘J:’ – without the quotes)
- Now type
and press Enter. This is to verify whether the file is present.
- Now type the following command:
attrib -h -r -s autorun.inf
and press enter. This removes the hidden attribute of autorun.inf file.
- Now type the last command
this deletes the above-mentioned file.
- One last step is to goto your My Computer Window and rename the pen drive. eg:
That’s it your done. Your pen drive has now been cleaned and you can use your pen drive normally, as you could do before. Piece of cake, wasn’t it?